Tuesday, October 14, 2014

MY DIET PLAN

ANALYZING MY DIET

This will be my final blog on an introduction to nutrition concepts.  I have an extensive background in nutrition, my career in the military was nutrition therapy.  Although there wasn't any new information introduced or new knowledge that I gained from this course, it was a great refresher on nutrition concepts and guidelines. I have always been a fitness minded person and my diet has for the most part been healthy.  

My diet has fluctuated over the years, mostly to support my fitness goals at that particular time.  For instance, last year I trained to run my first half marathon.  My diet during that training period needed to include more carbohydrates and a higher caloric intake than normal.  I have also challenged myself with fitness goals of reducing my fat percentage and gaining lean mass.  While attacking those goals, I would reduce my carb intake, stay away from processed foods and increase my protein intake to 1.2 grams per kilogram body weight.  

A year and a half ago, the crossfit gym I attend put out a 3 month challenge to have everyone follow a strict Paleo diet.  Paleo stands for paleolithic which basically refers to the Stone Age.  Another name for the Paleo diet is the "caveman" diet.  The diet is simple and is named because you eat, for the most part, like a caveman would.  Basically, if it's a man made food, it's off limits.  Anything in a box or package is avoided.  This diet steers away from our typical American diet which is rich in refined foods, trans fats and high sugars.  From my own perspective, the one negative area of Paleo is the dairy restriction.  Dairy is important in the diet and it was a challenge to find ways to supplement my calcium and vitamin D.  For more information on the Paleo Diet, click Paleo Diet

Here is a snapshot of what my current eating habits look like:

Breakfast:

If I do cardio or train first thing in the morning, my first calorie intake will consist of a smoothie.

Smoothie:
  • 1 Cup frozen strawberries
  • 1/4 cup dry oatmeal
  • 1/2 bannana
  • 1 handful spinach leaves
  • 1 scoop whey isolate protein powder
  • 1 tablespoon almond butter
  • 1 cup unsweetened Almond Milk


If I don't exercise first thing in the morning I will eat the following:
  • 4-5 egg whites
  • 3/4 cup cooked oatmeal with Splenda
  • 1 tablespoon almond butter in the oatmeal
  • 1 serving fresh fruit


Snacks:

I will eat small frequent snacks throughout the day.  My snacks will include any combination of the following:

Almonds
Fresh fruit
Tuna
Fresh veggies
Nutrition or protein bars
Salads consisting of:
  • Spinach leaves
  • tomatoes
  • carrots
  • cucumbers
  • broccoli
  • sunflower seeds
  • cut strawberries or cranberries
  • apple cider vinegar
  • olive oil


Lunch / Dinner:

My lunch and dinner usually always follow the same guidelines.  I try to eat 4-6 ounces of lean protein, 1 serving of carbohydrates, 1 serving of green veggies, and possibly a fruit.  Here's an example of a dinner:

6 oz Grilled Salmon
1 medium sweet potato
8-10 asparagus stalks
6-8 ounces almond milk


Here are some nutrition guidelines that I strive to meet every day:

  • Fiber - at least 20-25 grams
  • Water - at least 12-15 8 oz cups daily
  • Less than 10 grams saturated fat per day. 
  • Zero trans fat


No comments:

Post a Comment